LIfe with the Ropers

LIfe with the Ropers

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Some peace and quiet please?

If ever you are in need of some peaceful rest, where you can enjoy some silence...don't come to my house! G has always said that our girls have been blessed with the gift of volume. In fact, he wears ear plugs while bathing them because they are just soooo loud!

But it's not just that they are loud. They talk CONSTANTLY! When L learned to talk at 18 months of age, she never stopped! We even bought a DVD player for her to watch in the car just to give me 30 minutes of peace. Otherwise our conversations went like this:

L: Mommy, mommy, mommy?
Mommy: What?
L: (Silence)...
L: Mommy, mommy, mommy?
Mommy: What?
L: (Silence)...

When A was born she caught on quickly. She learned to talk early as well. She has the cutest giggle ever. She also has the whiniest voice ever. So it's a toss up on any given day whether she'll sound super cute or super annoying.

About a year ago, I asked a friend to watch the girls because I had to go to the doctor (I was pregnant with R). When I talked to her the next day, she asked me, "Do your girls always talk that much?" I was kind of surprised, since she has two girls of her own. "Yes," I replied, "Why?" She proceeded to tell me that she was so exhausted after listening to them and answering all of their questions for 3 hours non-stop. hahahaha! That made me so happy. So I'm not crazy for thinking that my girls are loud. I'm not crazy for craving some silence. It's okay that sometimes I think to myself, "CAN YOU JUST BE QUIET FOR TWO SECONDS???"

That brings me to R. Ah, R. She's like a breath of fresh air. She is so quiet. Occasionally she spouts out some mama, dada, baba, and even a screech, but for the most part she is content to play QUIETLY! This is completely new to me. My other girls are only quiet when food is in their mouth. Even movies don't work anymore. L asks questions CONSTANTLY during movies, so we've sadly had to make a rule that she is not allowed to ask questions until the movie is over. haha. Poor girl.

I don't mean to sound cruel. I love my girls. I just wish that every once in a while they'd play quietly, without a constant narrative of what they are doing or how they are feeling. I wish we could drive somewhere and not have them ask me 500 questions.


No comments: