LIfe with the Ropers

LIfe with the Ropers

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Bad Day Spending

Recently I've been going over our family budget--AGAIN! It seems like I always do really well for a couple of months, and then start to slack until I realize that we're not saving as much as we'd like. And then I re-evaluate, and start again.

Being at the end of the month, things always get a bit tight. I usually do okay, until I have a really bad day...and then I need some extra cash. :) I'm not sure where this idea stemmed from, but for some reason when I have a bad day, I'm sure I DESERVE something a little extra. This is why I am trying to convince G to add a category to our budget: Bad Day Spending. :) I'm kind of joking, but not really.

My bad days seems to get much better if I do something out of the ordinary, such as buy an ice cream, splurge on a cute pair of shoes, or take the girls somewhere fun. Last night I had one of these moments, and bought myself a new wallet. Granted, I've have been in need of one for a while and bought it at Marshalls for 1/3 the normal retail cost, but still--it was not in the budget. I never know how to deduct these expenses. Those who are extremely disciplined will tell me not to spend the money in the first place. :) When we were in medical school, money was so tight that I did just that---I rarely spent a dime because we didn't have very many. But now that we have a little flexibility in the budget, I find it hard not to run through the drive-thru on a day when everything has gone wrong and I just haven't had time (or the energy) to cook. Or to say no to a really cute new book for the girls. Or to stay clear of Blockbuster video. The list goes on!

So, I'm curious...am I the only one who does this?

13 comments:

Brook said...

No. I've often wondered if we should expand our monthly budget or just keep it how it is and live with the idea that I'm going to blow it in one way or another every month. We worry that if we do create that "Bad Day Spending" category, its going to be abused. But I'm still campaigning for it.

And I did deserve the new toenail polish this month. At least it wasn't a full-on pedicure!

Crystal said...

Of course you're not the only one! I think most of the budget articles I've read have advised a section for discretionary spending. I always feel horrendously guilty about buying anything for myself, so Regis suggested that we set aside a small amount each month that I can play with. If I don't spend it, whoopee! If I do, there's no reason to feel guilty, since it was earmarked for that anyway.

Unknown said...

Ooooh, I hear you. This was me last night. Steven had a church thing to go to, and it had been a very, very long day with a sick, constipated baby and a little girl who wanted me to sing to her all day even though I had a sore throat and my house was a mess and I had a ton of anxiety and was out of meds....aaaah!

We went to Walmart and dropped all of my piano earnings for the week. And picked up some more crazy pills.

Christie said...

At least you have a budget! Give yourself a pat on the back. We know we should have one for groceries, for example, but I find it hard to come up with some random-seeming number when I buy whatever's on sale that week anyway. Oh, well.

As for saving $ with video rentals, do you guys have Red Box by you? (It's a DVD vending machine, usually in grocery stores or by McDonalds or gas stations). We love it because it's only $1 per night for newly releases. You can also return them at any location, so you don't have to go out of your way. On one road trip, we rented one in Colorado and returned it in UT.

Darth Glader said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie said...

I have days like that! We do have a category called "fun money." The funny thing is, even though it is specifically set aside for purchasing wants rather than needs, I still feel reluctant to spend it. I think I must be a tightwad.

I'm also somewhat of a homebody, so I would rather just suffer through cooking dinner than put the boys in the car to go buy something. I think that has sometimes saved our budget, though I do invest in more expensive easy-to-prepare items for "those" days.

We've had a very similar debate as the one Brook described above- do we adjust our budget to fit our realistic spending, or keep trying (often in vain) to make our spending fit the budget?

Good luck!

Marin said...

haa haaa I love this!! Okay so I am usually SOOOO good at sticking to our budget but lately I have found that when I go grocery shopping I have been telling myself, "I need a treat since I have been doing this, this and this..." So then I end up buying chips which i never buy and I keep telling Justin that it was just a treat and I will never do it again. However I find myself making that exception a lot now lately. I am now back to buying only the food we NEED and not what i WANT!! But boy it makes grocery shopping a little more fun when there is something that i LIKE to eat when i get home!!! hee hee !!

Dad said...

No! You would be if you were the only one who didn't.

Barbara said...

I always loved the miscellaneous category on our budget when we were raising all of you. It allowed for flexibility on days like that!!!
You know me - I'm such a budget person! Do the miscellaneous thing!

Kara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tamster17 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Phoebe said...

I'll just be impressed at your disciplined budget!
What does it say about me that I NEVER feel bad for going through the drive thru on a crazy day or hitting a movie with the kids? Maybe it's time for me to re-evaluate:)?

Kreller Kaboodle said...

This was a great post! One that so many people can relate to! Thanks for posting this! I know it was a month ago but I just found you on here! LOL I know we've really never met but you're my cousin and I love you! :D