LIfe with the Ropers

LIfe with the Ropers

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Well, I've been TERRIBLE at blogging lately. I have composed at least a dozen posts in my head, but have yet to actually put them in writing. :) So today's post will include Mother's Day along with a billion other thoughts I have had in my head lately.

My girls made me these adorable gifts at church today. I LOVE THEM!!! The Primary kids decorated pot holders--so cute AND useful! :) And I love what the nursery did with Miss R. It is so precious!

Miss A's potholder (a picture of mommy & Miss A)

Miss L's potholder

Miss R's handprint. The poem says:

Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprints
On furniture and walls

But every day I'm growing-
I'll be grown some day
And all those tiny handprints
Will surely fade away

So here's a little handprint
Just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small.


It made me cry. I love my children and I don't take enough time to enjoy them. I often get involved in the planning and organizing side of motherhood and forget to LIVE in the moment. I hope to improve on that this year.

And of course I have to mention my OWN wonderful mother, who taught me EVERYTHING I know. She is such an amazing woman. Shortly after giving birth to Miss L, I realized I will never be as good as my Mom. She continues to be my perfect example. :)

On a completely unrelated note, here are some things I have wanted to post recently.

Miss L: Mom, when I get older I want to be in a show and be on the stage and make people cheer for me.
Mom: Wow! That's sounds like a good idea. Miss A, what do you want to be when you get older?
Miss A: Ummmm, I want to be a MUSKETEER! (thanks Barbie)

Listening to the girls talk in the car--
Miss L: Did you know Hannah Montana is a rock star?
Miss A: Yep.
Miss L: I mean, she is a REAL rock star. She plays the banjo and everything.

Listening to Miss A, playing house--
Miss A: Just a minute, I'm nursting (nursing) my baby.

Three weeks ago we started a TV/movie strike--no television on school days. I have to admit that I have caved on occasion, but my kids haven't watched more than 30 minutes--and it has been an educational show as opposed to Barbie or Disney. I can tell a big difference in our house. My kids are back to spending more time reading and pretending--which I LOVE to see! One morning I woke up to find my kids like this:
It was so nice to find that they had voluntarily brought out books to read instead of putting in a movie. Yeah, we're forming better habits!

Also, we had a near ER visit. Miss R fell and hit the corner of her eye on a picnic table. The picture is kind of washed out. Believe me--it was purple! Poor little girl.

Baby C is growing fast. She is in the 50th percentile for weight and the 75th percentile for height. I can't believe how fast time flies when you get old! She continues to be a very relaxed, easy going baby. I just wish she'd sleep better at night. Actually, her Mother's Day gift to me was sleeping 13 hours straight last night! She has never slept that long, and she hasn't slept through the night in months, so it was definitely a NICE night of sleep! She is not very interested in baby food, but she is SLOWLY getting the hang of it. She is also pretty mellow when it comes to reaching and playing with toys. She is getting there---but takes her time.

And last of all, here are some recent pictures I took of the girls. It is pretty much impossible to get one of them all together--so here are some individual shots.

Miss L. Is it just me, or does she look like she's posing for a 80's fashion magazine? haha. When we curl her hair, I have to make it poofy, because it loses it's curl in about 10 minutes. My sweet husband says (in remembrance of Joe Jr.), "Her hair is looking awfully BIG tonight." :)

Sweet Miss A. She was SO excited about the glittery pink headband in her hair. She looks so grown up to me in this picture. I can't believe how much she has matured in the last few months. She's turning into a school girl too fast!

Miss R. It is impossible to get her to look and smile at the same time. And of course she has cheezits in her mouth. This tiny girl eats constantly and still isn't on the growth curve. She will turn two next week and she's still wearing 12-18 month clothes. And check out those curls!!! I LOVE, and I mean LOVE her curls. On a side note, my family is living proof that genetics play a huge part in determining one's metabolic rate. Some people (like my husband and Miss R) are just DANG lucky. :)

And here is Baby C, so proud of herself for sitting alone. She can't wait to crawl--but we're not encouraging it at all. If you're a mom, you know why! haha.



9 comments:

Crystal said...

How sweet! I think you definitely need to post more often. I love seeing all these cute pictures. Happy Mother's Day!

Christie said...

Your girls are so beautiful, and you're such a great mom. I hope you had a wonderful day!

Unknown said...

Yay! Nice to have an update - maybe you can inspire me to repent and post on my blog too (I know what you mean about mentally composing).

Miss R's curls are to DIE for. I love, love, love them. And yeah: little and skinny, eats like a horse...sounds like a couple of little girls I know too...

tamster17 said...

What a great post! Can't believe how big your girls are getting. They change so much between when we see you guys. Hopefully we'll see you again at the end of the month! :-)

dottie said...

I love seeing some recent pictures of your sweet girls..enjoyed talking to Glade last night :)

The Looney Writer said...

Yeah, most people like curls. I like them too. I just don't like people messing with them. Does Miss R let you do her hair?

Brook said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
KPackard said...

How cute! Your girls are adorable and what cute things they say. I love writing down all the funny things my kids say, too!

And speaking of genetics, Miss A looks so different from her sisters! There's never any telling what your gene pool might come up with it seems ;)

Hope you had a great Mother's Day!

Ashley A. said...

They ARE beautiful girls. You do need to post more often! My favorites were the banjo story and the 80's hair. :)