Tortillas, homemade rolls, cereal, toast, pancakes, crackers, fruit....I could go on and on. I LOVE carbs. I really wish they were good for me. :)
I spent the last week studying a new diet that I've heard good things about. I hesitate to mention the word "diet" since it usually has negative connotations. But this diet is not about dieting, as much as it is about changing what types of food you eat. After studying the book, I found that I agree with all of the principles of it. So instead of the old standby Weight Watchers, I decided this time around to try it out---The South Beach Diet.
The first two weeks of the diet are extremely restrictive. No carbs. None. Not even fruit. It's the most drastic thing I've ever tried, but I am a total carb addict, so I thought it would be good for me. The diet revolves around eating foods that have a low glycemic index (you can google it--it's all about regulating blood sugar). Basically I'll be eating LOTS of vegetables and lean proteins for the next two weeks. Then I will gradually be adding in "good" carbs, such as fruit and whole grains.
Day one has been interesting. The thing I have found the most strange, and liberating, is that I don't have to keep track of what I'm eating. Weight Watchers was really big on that. But this plan is more about eating the right foods. For example, with lunch and dinner you are to eat a MINIMUM of 2 cups of veggies. That is A LOT of veggies!!!! Here is a picture of what I had for dinner.
Looks yummy, doesn't it. It was. But you know what, I was STARVING by the time dinner came around. According to the South Beach Diet book, you should never be hungry. I kept wondering all day what the heck I was doing wrong and then I remembered that I never accounted for the fact that I am still nursing Baby C. Oops. So after doing some more research, I realized I shouldn't be restricting myself as much.
Overall my first day was a success. But I know from experience that the 1st day of a diet is always the easiest. :) And I think this will be the LONGEST two weeks of my life. I miss my carbs already....
2 comments:
Oooh, you know I like South Beach. It will be very successful for you, but it is HARD. Add more protein so that you're not so hungry--nuts are your friends! :) Hang in there, it'll get easier after the first few days.
confessions of a carb-a-holic. i can so relate!!! xo
Post a Comment