LIfe with the Ropers

LIfe with the Ropers

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Drum roll please....

Well, today marks the end of week 1 of the South Beach Diet. Good Heavens! Let's get these first 2 weeks OVER WITH!!! This no carbs thing is getting really old. Haha! :)

I am happy to say that I did lose weight this week---5.5 pounds! That amount of weight is pretty typical for a first week of dieting on Weight Watchers as well, so I find myself a little frustrated that I sacrificed SO MUCH this week (more than I ever did on WW) and still only lost 5-6 pounds. But I won't complain too much about it. I'm happy that I'm moving in the right direction. And I can already tell a difference in the way my clothes are fitting, so that's a good sign. My sweet husband had me hold 6 pounds of butter to show me how much weight six pounds is, and I have to say that it was very effective. Haha! :)

Here are a few thoughts I had this week.

1. Yesterday was a particularly tempting day for me. I gave up my husband's yummy pancakes in the morning, pizza & cupcakes at a birthday party, & our traditional date night with Rubio's fish tacos. Because of this, I was SUPER grumpy. When my husband asked if I was okay, I replied with the following, "Oh sure. I'm fine. Don't worry about me. It's only Day 6 of the rest of my life!" :D Can you hear the sarcasm? But that is kind of how I feel. Even though I've set a goal, I know this will be a life long battle.

2. Turkey bacon is one of the most disgusting things I have ever put in my mouth. NEVER again!!!

3. I don't really enjoy food anymore. That sounds weird to me. But I find that I don't really look forward to food...it's just something I eat for energy...as a friend said, "It's just fuel!" This is complete paradigm shift for me. And I'm surprised at how much "fun" has been eliminated from my life by eliminating unhealthy foods.

4. A list of junk food that was presented to me this week (which I refused):
licorice
sour patch kids
starbursts
pancakes
pizza
cupcakes
ice cream
chips

6. I love SPANX and Diet A&W Rootbeer!

7. It's worth eating food I don't like, and therefore giving up food I DO like, to feel this good--at least that's what I keep telling myself. :D

So now I move on to Week 2. I can't wait to get it over with so I can eat fruit and whole grains again. Breakfast has been the most difficult for me. Think about it. What do you eat for breakfast that does not contain carbs? No cereal. No fruit. No yogurt. No toast. Not even oatmeal. Eggs have been my staple, and you know...I can only eat so many eggs before I swear them off forever!!!

So here's to only one more week of eggs for breakfast! CHEERS!!!!

5 comments:

The Good Life said...

Try to make the eggs every way you like them. If you do scrambled every time, try fried or poached or hard boiled. or an omlete with salsa and any veggie you can tolerate in it. Hang in there! I think your doing awesome! I wanna lose 5 lbs this week! ;)

Marin said...

Amy, I just have to say that you are so beautiful! Your face seriously GLOWS! I saw you at church today and wanted to talk to you but the meeting was about to start. I'm glad to be back here and hopefully we can come play soon!

also, I can't believe you were able to refuse all that JUNK food!!! You are amazing! Keep up the good work. I keep telling myself this is the last night of ice cream but haven't done it yet! ahh!

CHELZERS said...

Amy great job!! I make scrambled eggs with zucchini and onion and several spices and it's really good! Can you have ANY carbs? Like ww american cheese? I think it's 1 carb or 1 point...I can't remember. but if you can, throw a piece of that in the eggs. Also, turkey sausage is pretty good! (bacon is total yuck, I agree!)

Christie said...

I was amazed to realize what a big part eating (especially treats) is of our lives when I found out I was hypoglycemic and was trying to completely eliminate sugar, as well as carbs without protein! But, after doing without it for 3 weeks, I started craving it less and not even wanting it sometimes. When I did have it, I really savored one bite, and no longer needed a whole bowl. I agree with you about it all being worth it if it makes you feel better. Keep up the great work!

tamster17 said...

I'm so impressed and inspired by you Amy! I need to get my eating and health back on track. Through the whole unemployment thing and the holidays I gained 20 lbs. And it took me forever to get those off 2 years ago!

Keep up the good work. Your will power is amazing! 5 1/2 lbs in one week is great! What's the reason you are doing the South Beach diet? Just curious -- I know you were really successful before on WW. I need to get my eating under control better and carbs are my problem area. I love to exercise, but I love to eat. I want to shed some extra poundage before our awesome cruise in Jan!

Hang it there! One saying I like is "Nothing tastes as good as I feel!" during the weight loss battle.