LIfe with the Ropers

LIfe with the Ropers

Saturday, October 30, 2010

AN HONEST POST

This isn't the best time for me to post something---I'm in a pretty bad mood. But I've been avoiding this long enough...it's time to blog about my weight loss. Or in this situation, my weight gain. In the last 2-3 weeks I have gained 3 pounds. Lovely. Apparently avoiding the scale doesn't work for me.

I have a bunch of theories of why I have gained weight. But I have to say that in the end I really have no idea what is going on. I am really frustrated. I do feel like I've been giving up a lot of things, and so I don't understand why the scale is moving up instead of down. The most likely truth is that I've stopped nursing---I don't need as many calories, and yet I'm still eating the same amount. I've also been struggling with finding time to eat. Weird, I know. I usually have a good breakfast, but after that I pretty much starve myself all day because I'm running around with my kiddos. When I fix them lunch, I remember I should eat, but we rarely eat the same things since PB & J is full of carbs, and kids aren't exactly fond of salads for lunch. And so I put off my meal, until I realize around 3:00 that I'm STARVING. Then I end up eating something that's easy to grab (and usually not as healthy). So frustrating. My other problem is that the weather has turned cold---so cold veggies don't sound that good to me. Salads are not as appealing, and to be honest....I'm just sick of them.

It's pretty humiliating to blog about this. I mean, it's embarrassing to admit my weaknesses to the masses. But I promised myself I would do it (and believe me, I have thought a million times about breaking that promise). So I'm sorry about the whining. This is truthfully where I am at right now. So please, if you're reading this, please, please, please tell me to shape up and get back on track! And if you struggle with weight loss yourself, please share your experiences. I need some help. And please, if you have any ideas that could help me---SHARE THEM!

Thanks everyone!

8 comments:

Marin said...

okay so I have started a BAD habit of SNACKING on Chocolate chips! I just am the same way with vegetables (carrots are the easiest but day after day gets old!) and now fruit (like peaches and nectarines) are out of season so it is hard to find a GOOD snack. And it has been cold so my walks haven't been happening every day :( But honestly these are the two things that i am going to work on. First- no more chocolate chips. Secondly- I have to promise to walk every day no matter what and if it is raining I better just make sure i do a LOT of HOUSE cleaning to stay on my feet!!!

Good luck AMY! Hang in there (especially now that it is getting cold and closer to the holidays!) Just keep trying!! Your doing great and every time I see you you ALWAYS look great!! Your so beautiful and your skin is amazing! And your girls are so adorable, and you just have the CUTEST family!!!...

Brook said...

Here are my thoughts. (1) Don't be too hard on yourself. Weight is bound to fluctuate a little when you make a huge change like not nursing - if nothing else, there are hormonal changes that can have an effect. That's not an excuse to throw aside your regimen and abandon yourself to weight gain, but a reminder that you don't control everything and the trick is to focus on what you can control. (2) Winter is a time when our bodies naturally want to put on weight. It is getting colder and darker, and somewhere in our animal psyche we remember that food is harder to find in the winter and so we need to stock up. So I guess this is an extension of the don't be too hard on yourself point. Some things you can control, some things you can't. (3) What you CAN control is eating balanced meals at appropriate times. And here's probably my most helpful suggestion. Soups! Winter is a great time for soups. They are warm and filling, and mostly water anyway, so not calorie bombs. They are also easy to make large batches, freeze or refrigerate, and then warm up quickly in a pinch. Some of my favorites are: butternut squash soup, tomato soup (although I always long for grilled cheese when I eat it, and if you are avoiding carbs that might not be good), and winter soup - it has leeks, zucchini, garbanzo beans, and a tomato base - call me if you want recipes. Chili is also a good bet, especially vegetarian chili, or chili with a high bean to meat ratio. Mmm. Yummy. I can totally relate to the not having time to eat and so just going for whatever is fast and on-hand. (Its even more complicated when I feel sick and REALLY don't feel like making anything.) Hopefully soup will be a good option for you.

But yeah - remember not to beat yourself up for things you can't control, and just focus on what you can. As long as you are eating in moderation and focusing on healthy foods, I think you should be proud of yourself. Much love and good wishes!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry :( But, you CAN turn that scale back around. You said you would, and I'm holding you to it.

Do you like steamed veggies? I've been really into steamed broccoli and cauliflower lately (and by steamed, I mean nuked for about a minute). Also steamed edamame.

Also, I guess my suggestion would be to plan out a weekly menu of all your meals, including lunches. Take into account how much time you will have to make things. That way you won't have to think about what to eat when it comes down to the time - you already know what you're having for lunch that day, and you've planned it out to be healthy.

If you'd like some help with meal ideas, send me your parameters and I will put together 2 weeks of suitable lunches (I like meal planning).

tamster17 said...

The whole weight loss thing is so hard Amy! During a 2 year battle of really excercising well and trying to eat better I lost 40 lbs -- seemed like it took forever and I got to a point where I just maintained it. And then when Rob lost his job last year and we went through the holidays I gained 20 lbs of it back in a couple of months. And I'm so depressed on how long it took me to take off and how fast it came back on.

Keep trying -- sometimes things like this is 2 steps forward, 1 step back. As I keep trying I don't see much difference on the scale right now, but I feel so much better and know I am healthier. Stick with it girl and just keep swimming. This is SOOOO hard to do as a busy mom with a million things vying for our attention!

Barbara said...

I agree completely with comments already made by family and friends. Lot's of good suggestions! Soups and stews are excellent filler uppers. I try to grab a water to fill me up before I eat. I drink room temp water now that it is colder. While I'm drinking I soon forget how I was going to grab something not so good. Plus, I know my body needs it. The body does fluctuate and try to hang on to pounds, so don't be discouraged!
I know you can do it! You've got lots of cheer leaders. It's so hard with kiddos - I remember finishing left-over sandwiches etc, just popped things in my mouth until a woman at weight watchers said to quickly turn on the water and put it down the disposal! It's a really good trick and I did it many times. Planning ahead and buying favorite warm WW frozen meals to pop in the microwave is always a good, hot, low cal meal. Add a piece of fruit and your good to go! I love you! You are beautiful! MOM

Jani said...

Amy, I've been holding out on you, and I'm so sorry! I've been meaning to share this South Beach resources forever and a day, as is usual for me. http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/

She has a variety of great recipes for all phases of South Beach, and it's a great place to go when you're low on cooking/eating inspiration and need a little suggestion or idea for something new.

It is frustrating, isn't it? And you're right, it would have been SO easy to stop discussing this on your blog, because really, who would have the guts (or audacity, even) to call you on it in real life? So good for you for sticking with it! You've already started down the slope, there will be some bumps and little hills along the way, but you will get there.

Dad said...

Amy, just remember the little boy (or girl) in my favorite poem, The Race. You can do it!!!!

kelly belly said...

I am your biggest cheerleader!!!

My tips

1. frozen meals from lean cuisine
2. exercising with a friend (or dancing around...i used to do this with my kindergarteners for 20 minutes just to get my heart rate up when we had been sitting too long)
3. lots of water and carrots (haha)

do you want to do something together? same weight program? goal or contest?

lemme know sis. love you.